Alexis enjoys working with individuals, families and couples. Couples work is one of her passions, where she works to improve communication and address issues such as conflict with in-laws, parenting, finances and infidelity. She utilizes as systems-based approach in addition to cognitive-behavioral therapy and solution focused therapy.
Areas of Specialization
- Couples/Marital Counseling
- Coping Skills
- Life Transitions
- Family/Relationship Issues
- Racial Identity
- Communication Skills Training
Education & Experience
- Doctorate in Couple and Family Therapy from Drexel University in Pennsylvania
- Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy from The University of Maryland
- B.A. in Psychology from Spelman College
Dr. Johnson-Nelson has worked in the mental health field for over 10 years providing therapy in community, home-based and private practice settings. She enjoys Zumba, learning French and attending activities in the community with her husband and two daughters.