Anne Marie Cook
Counseling takes courage, but it doesn’t take forever. Having more than 20 years of experience with children, adolescents, adults and families, Anne Marie Cook’s primary counseling goal is now brief, solution-focused therapy for families and their individual members. With more than a decade of experience as a business owner involved with the broadcast industry, she recognizes that the solution-focused model is also effective for small business and organizations requiring relational solutions in business and professional settings.
Solution-focused therapy is brief and goal oriented, typically six sessions or fewer, and targets specific situations, problems and issues. The group or family members decide their goals and desired outcomes and focus on accomplishing those goals and moving forward. In this process, the symptoms within the family or group can be identified and possibly separated from the daily family routine. Other treatments or therapies can be recommended for those matters. Brief, solution-focused therapy concentrates on goals and plans to include insight, problem solving, communication, information, education and resources. This model is a wise option for Anne Marie’s areas of specialization.
Areas of Specialization
- Families in divorce
- Blended families
- Families with chronically ill members including medical, substance or mental health issues
- Living or working with individuals with a personality disorder
- Marital counseling
- Workplace conflict resolution
Education & Experience
- MS and EdS in Community Counseling from the University of West Georgia
- BS in Education from Georgia State University
- Licensed Professional Counselor since 1996
- Business owner and operator in broadcasting industry from 1975 to 1992
Anne Marie has worked with A New Start Counseling Center for 18 years.